Gatineau Park is an amazing tourist spot in Ottawa that you must consider visiting when you are in Ottawa. This park is serene with an absolutely breathtaking view that will blow you away. One special thing about this spectacular treasure is that it is just 10 minutes away from Ottawa city center.
This means that you can either walk there, take your bike or a taxi. A visit to this park lets you experience nature by discovering beautiful heritage, some stunning natural features, wildlife and even unique plants.
Above all, you will experience tranquility that comes with being surrounded by nature. Gatineau Park has been well conserved even though it is open to the public for outdoor recreation activities This Park can be accessed at any time of the year.
Culture and Heritage
One of the interesting aspects of the Gatineau Park is its long history. It is believed to have been originally occupied by Aboriginal populations dating back to 8,000 years ago.
Early industrialists and settlers then came here in the 19th century in their search of resources as well as its proximity to the city. Traces of this historic period are evident throughout this park.
They include farmsteads, mines, and Carbide Wilson ruins among others.
Discover Ottawa Canada`s Capital City
Places of Interest
There are a couple of places of interest at the Gatineau Park. These are:
• Pink Lake – Although it is not actually pink, the lake acquired its name after the Pink Family, who was settlers in the 1800’s.
This lake is one of the ecological treasures of this park. While here you will get educational signs bearing information on the kind of late it is as well as why it should be preserved.
• Mackenzie King Estate – This is another place of interest that served as a summer home to Canada’s 10th Prime Minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King and stands on 231 hectares.
There is so much to see from the gardens that are beautifully kept to the paths and ruins. You can grab a cup of tea at that tearoom
• King Mountain – There is a 2.5 kilometer train on this mountain that has up to 10 observation points. These spots allow you to get unobstructed, spectacular views of the Ottawa River that is simply magnificent.
• Beaches – Gatineau Park boasts of five public beaches. However, these beaches can only be accessed between mid-June and September.
Things to do in Ottawa – View in the Gatineau Park
• Picnic Areas –As mentioned earlier, the park is ideal for recreational activities like picnics where you get to relax while enjoying the surroundings. Some of the picnic locations within the park include Meech Lake, La Peche, Black Lake, Mulvihill and Etienne-Brule Lookout among others.
• Lusk Cave – The caves will also not disappoint you as they can be explored by foot and are made using marble.
Things to Do
Gatineau Park offers a conducive environment for you to engage in a number of activities such as horseback riding, bird watching, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, camping, snowboarding, downhill skiing, hang gliding, paragliding, canoeing, cycling, mountain biking, swimming and fishing among others.
Thus, you can consider bring the right gear for your activity of interest.
Gatineau Park is home to a couple of animal and bird species as well as mammals. Bird watchers can get to see over two hundred bird species. Apart from the fifty four species of amphibians and reptiles, there are also numerous amphibians and reptiles like salamanders and turtles.
In conclusion, Gatineau Park is a small haven of history, nature and wildlife that lets you enjoy the serenity of the environment even as you shoot away significant memories on your camera.
Post by Janice Brown, a avid travel blogger The Vacation Rentals Experts – an online and offline digital marketing strategy that creates marketing solutions for vacation rentals and holiday properties and brands. that creates marketing solutions for vacation rentals and holiday properties and brands.
Joint us on twitter, Pinterest , Tumblr, Google Plus and follow our LinkedIn company page to learn more and get great tips on market strategy and solutions for your holiday properties.